Personal tools

IMCS Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact if I need a VCR or a DVD player for my classroom?

Audio Visual Services handles all equipment requests. Please contact them at (310) 206-6591, or by fax at (310) 825-3996, or Most general assignment classrooms are already equipped with the needed playback machines.

Can I watch something taped off-air?

Yes, but within strict time limits.  Please see the policy for off-air recording of broadcast programming for educational purposes.

Can I get a copy of a film in the IMCS collection?

Maybe.  We can provide copies of titles for which we hold the rights to duplicate and distribute only, and for a fee.  Please consult the IMCS for further information.

How can I get a 16mm or 3/4" tape held in the Southern Regional Library Facility?

Contact the IMCS and we will page the item for you. Keep in mind the paging process takes a few days, so please make your request as early as possible. 16mm films can only be viewed in our office in 46 Powell with an advance appointment. 3/4" tapes may be viewed in the Media Lab, and in some cases can be transferred to a less obsolete medium.  Please make arrangements with the IMCS.

I am a student and I would like to use a film for a class presentation. Can I check it out myself?

Sort of.  Your professor or TA must make advance arrangements with the IMCS to check it out for you. Then, you can use the film for your presentation, but only for a designated period of time.

How can I put a video on reserve for my students?

Please see the Reserves section.

As a TA, am I eligible for mini-grants?

Yes, but the maximum award amount differs than that for faculty. Please see the Mini-Grants section on the Office of Instructional Development site for current details.

Will you deliver videos to my classroom?

The IMCS does not deliver media to the classroom. Materials circulating to classrooms must be picked up and returned in person at the IMCS office in Powell 46.

Document Actions
  • Print this
  • ShareThis