Personal tools
You are here: Home Grants MINI-GRANTS Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to apply for a mini-grant?

  • Teaching Assistants
  • Lecturers
  • Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors
  • Visiting Lecturers
  • Visiting Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors
  • Administrators teaching courses

How does one apply for a mini-grant?

Complete a mini-grant form. Submit it at least three weeks in advance of the scheduled film or field trip, speaker, or minor project. Retroactive requests are not granted.

Where do we submit a mini-grant application?

Film and video requests should be mailed or faxed to the Instructional Media Collections & Services (IMCS), 46 Powell, 151704. The fax number is (310) 206-5392.

All other requests, including distinguished speakers, minor projects and field trips should be emailed, mailed or faxed directly to 60 Powell Library, 151504. The email account is and the fax number is (310) 206-1455.

Effective Fall 2008, the mini-grant applications are available online.  Applications can be submitted at this site.

What are some of the appropriate uses of a mini-grant?

  • Rental, purchase or duplication of films, film strips, audiotapes, videotape programs and DVDs.
  • Honoraria for distinguished guest speakers.
  • Field trips. (Only student transportation expenses are approved.)
  • Audio visual requests.

This is not an exhaustive list however, and the faculty need not limit their requests to these specific uses.

What are some of the inappropriate requests made for a mini-grant?

  • Graduate courses are not eligible and funds will not be approved.
  • No developmental or general purpose software such as operating systems, spreadsheets, database managers, or word processing packages will be considered for purchase, nor will computer hardware and peripherals.
  • Purchase of instructional equipment, textbooks, or office supplies.
  • Travel expenses for faculty or guest speakers.
  • Distinguished speaker's parking fee.
  • Entry fees to the museums, art galleries, or theaters.
  • Conference expenses.
  • Hiring of readers for classroom instruction.
  • Two or more faculty members may not apply for the same project, speaker, or film.

What can be done to expedite mini-grant approval?

  • Apply well in advance of the scheduled film, speaker, or event, and complete all sections of the form.
  • Do not exceed the maximum for distinguished speakers.
  • Specify an exact budget for all requests.

What are the guidelines for distinguished speaker(s) honoraria?

  • A maximum of $150.00 allowed per speaker, per quarter. A speaker appearing in one class, will not be paid an honorarium to speak at another class during the same quarter.
  • No more than $300.00 total honoraria per class per quarter.
    Full-time UCLA employees are not eligible to receive honoraria.
  • Employees from other UC campuses will only be approved if another specialist is not available.
  • OID does not issue checks to the speakers. Funds are transferred to the home department.
  • Visa documentation papers are also handled by the departments and by the accounting office. Check with UCLA Payroll at (310) 267-5774 to determine eligibility.

Are the requirements the same for teaching assistants and faculty?

No. Dollar amounts for teaching assistants and faculty differ. Teaching assistants may not request more than $75.00 for a distinguished speaker per quarter. The maximum request for a teaching assistant is $250.00 per academic year.

What are the guidelines to apply for film and video requests?

  • Check ORION to see if the IMCS owns a title before submitting a grant request for videos. An IMCS staff member at (310) 825-0755 is available to assist in checking the titles that are available in the library collection.
  • The film requests are processed for availability and scheduling before they are approved. Faculty and the administrative assistants should call IMCS, (310) 825-0755 regarding the status of their film/video requests.
  • All the orders for media must be placed through the IMCS to ensure the best price and the inclusion of service charges.
  • Media and audiovisual requests should be submitted at least three weeks in advance of the show date to avoid unnecessary rush shipment charges.
  • All the requests should indicate a preferred date, and one alternate date, for scheduling. Include the print/video rental or purchase source, if known.
  • The number of students who will view the film must be included on the form.

What are the guidelines to apply for Field Trip Support?

  • The home department must make the arrangements for the field trips through the Fleet and Transit Services.
  • The field trip date, destination and the number of students involved must be included on the form.
  • The budget must specify the type of vehicle, mileage, and the charges. Lodging and meal expenses should not be included in the budget.
  • All field trip requests should be submitted at least two weeks in advance of the scheduled trip.

How are mini-grants sent out?

  • The turn-around time for the letters is generally seven to ten days.
  • Upon approval, the funds are transferred to the department within three weeks. Funds are transferred to an account number given to OID by the administrative assistant or the management services officer.
  • The home department must process payment upon receipt of the notice of transfer of funds.

What is the last day to turn in mini-grant forms for Spring Quarter?

All applications for Spring Quarter must be turned in by Monday, June 1, 2009 to accommodate Fiscal Closing deadlines.

Please call (310) 825-2790 if you need further information or email

Does OID pay the vendors and the distinguished speakers?

OID does not issue checks to the distinguished speakers or to the vendors. The department does this upon receipt of the Transfer of Funds to their department account.

How are the funds transferred?

Funds are transferred via the OASIS Online System from OID to the requesting department.

What information is included when Transfer of Funds are processed?

  • TOFs state the account number, fund, and sub number as given by the department's administrative assistant or the management services officer to OID.
  • OID does not generate account numbers for the department.
  • OID uses only the account number the departments provide.
  • The departments designate their own subs and the cost centers according to accounting policies and procedures.

Before calling OID, the administrative assistant should refer to their records for the account number used by their department for mini-grants.

What fund numbers does OID use?

OID uses only 09505 and 19904 fund numbers.

No 19900 money is used for mini-grants. According to Accounting guidelines, funds cannot be crossed.

What are the specific designations and uses of 09505 or 19904?

  • 09505 is used for field trips, slides, and instructional media.
  • 19904 is used for distinguished speakers, minor projects, and instructional materials.

Can the funds be redirected by the department for other projects?

Mini-grant funds cannot be redirected by the department for other projects other than what was approved in the application. Funds were approved for a specific instructor or project. Other uses of the funds, or additonal amount needed above the approved amount must be requested in writing to OID.

What happens if there is a balance after the fiscal closing of June 1, 2009?

Balances in both mini-grant accounts (09505 and 19904) are automatically returned to OID at the end of each fiscal year (June 30th). Liens/encumbrances for minor projects only may be carried on the department's mini-grant account -- OID will return the funds to cover the liens at the opening of the next fiscal year. If there is an overdraft, all overdrafts must be covered by the department. OID cannot cover department overdraft.

How does one “carry forward” funds to the next fiscal year in order to cover the expenses of late charges?

If the funds for projects (distinguished speakers, media, etc.) need to be carried forward at fiscal closing due to late invoices, a carry forward form should be filled out by the department administrative assistant or management services officer for the instructor.

Carry forward forms are mailed out by OID around mid-June and are due approximately a week later. The funds are returned to the department in August after funds are received in OID accounts at the opening of next fiscal year.

Who tracks the department's expenses?

The departmental accountants are responsible for reconciling all expenses for the various mini-grants throughout the fiscal year. OID does not reconcile the mini-grant accounts for the departments.

Next: Examples of Mini-Grant Uses
For more information


Instructional Improvement Mini-Grants Program


Office of Instructional Development

60 Powell Library Building

310 825-2790


Document Actions
  • Print this
  • ShareThis